Details / Information  Overview:

On a low hill (h. 40 m.) by the sea lies an important Minoan settlement. It had a large harbour and was the centre of an area bordered by Chamaizi on the west, Praisos on the south and Analoukas on the east.

Despite the evidence for habitation in the last phase of the Neolithic period (3500 B.C.), the first settlement is dated to the Early Minoan II period (2600-2300 B.C.). It continued to be inhabited until 1450 B.C., when it was destroyed, along with the other Minoan centres. A short reoccupation occurred during the Late Minoan III period (1400-1300 B.C.). The settlement flourished in the Old Palace period (2000-1650 B.C.), when the central building of palatial character was built on the top of the hill; it reached a peak, however, in the New Palace period (2000-1450 B.C.) when many alterations of the buildings took place. In the 12th-13th centuries A.D. the top of the hill was occupied by a cemetery, of which 32 graves have been excavated.

In 1900, R.C. Bosanquet conducted a short-lasting excavation in the area where ruins of ancient walls were visible. Systematic excavations have been conducted by M. Tsipopoluou since 1985.

 

Address  Address:

Petra

Location (City, Village, Area)  Location:

Sitia, Lasithi

Telephone number  Telephone:

(+30) 2841022462

Fax number  Fax:

(+30) 2841025115

E-mail address  E-mail:

efalas@culture.gr

Website Url Url:

www.culture.gr

Operating Period  Operating Period:

JAN-DEC

 

Operating Days & Hours  Operating Days & Hours:

Open by arrangement with the Ephorate of Antiquities of Lassithi
 

Admission Fee  Admission Fee:

• Free entrance
 

Notes  Notes:

---

  

   

Disclaimer

* The above information, are subject to change without prior notification from the institution. In any case, visitcrete.com has no responsibilities about any occurred changes.

 Last update 30/04/2017