Details / Information  Overview:

Luxurious house, two storeys high, built of large ashlar blocks. The walls were strengthened by timber-frames and covered with a thick layer of plaster and marble slabs. The building has a paved courtyard, a shrine, storerooms for agricultural products, a staircase, and rooms with benches. It has been interpreted as a High Priest's house, due to the numerous ceremonial vessels it contained.

The house was probably built in the 16th century B.C. (MM III period) and after its destruction by fire in the 15th century B.C. (LM IB period), was finally abandoned.

The "Minoan Megaron" at Nirou was excavated in 1918 by St. Xanthoudides.

 

Address  Address:

Vatheianos Kampos

Location (City, Village, Area)  Location:

Kokkini Chani, Heraklion

Telephone number  Telephone:

(+30) 2810762761

Fax number  Fax:

---

E-mail address  E-mail:

efahra@culture.gr

Website Url Url:

---

Operating Period  Operating Period:

JAN-DEC

   

Operating Days & Hours  Operating Days & Hours:

Summertime season:
MON-SUN: 08:00-15:00
(by Appointment)

Wintertime season:
MON-SUN: 08:30-15:00
(by Appointment)

 

Admission Fee  Admission Fee:

• Free Entrance
 

Notes  Notes:

---
 

  

   

Disclaimer

* The above information, are subject to change without prior notification from the institution. In any case, visitcrete.com has no responsibilities about any occurred changes.

 Last update 30/04/2017