Details / Information  Overview:

The first habitation of the site dates from the Neolithic and Early Minoan period (3rd millennium B.C.). In the late Classical period (beginning of the 4th century B.C.) the Gortynians established the sanctuary of Asklepios at the harbour. During the tremendous earthquake of 46 B.C. the city was destroyed and subsequently rebuilt. In the Early Christian and Byzantine periods, a small settlement developed and the basilica was erected. The small Byzantine church of St. John was built in the 14th century.

The archaeological research of the site started after the first visit of the English captain H. Spratt, in the middle of the 19th century. Excavations were carried out by the Italian Archaeological School at Athens in 1900, 1910 and 1912-13, and revealed the sanctuary and other buildings. Since then no excavation had taken place in the ancient city until recent years, when the investigations of the Greek Archaeological Service brought to light the Minoan settlement and graves.

 

Address  Address:

Miamou

Location (City, Village, Area)  Location:

Lentas,Heraklion

Telephone number  Telephone:

---

Fax number  Fax:

---

E-mail address  E-mail:

---

Website Url Url:

---

Operating Period  Operating Period:

APR-OCT

 

Operating Days & Hours  Operating Days & Hours:

MON: 12:00-19:00
TUE-SUN: 08:00-19:00

Admission Fee  Admission Fee:

• Free Entrance
 

Notes  Notes:

---
 

 

  

   

Disclaimer

* The above information, are subject to change without prior notification from the institution. In any case, visitcrete.com has no responsibilities about any occurred changes.

 Last update 30/04/2017