Details / Information  Overview:

The first habitation in the area of Palaiochora (Amnissos) dates from the Middle Minoan period (19th century B.C.). The site is been reported as a-mi-mi-so in the Linear B tablets. The Minoan "Villa of the Lilies" was destroyed by fire in the 15th century B.C. but complexes C and E continued to be inhabited until the 12th century B.C. In the Archaic period (7th century B.C.) the sanctuary of Zeus Thenatas was founded and remained in use until the 2nd century A.D. After a long period of abandonment, the hill was again inhabited during the Venetian occupation.

The first excavations of the site were conducted at the villa by Spyridon Marinatos in 1929-1938. Parts of the "Mycenaean" settlement (LM III period) were later excavated by Stylianos Alexiou. In 1983-85 the buildings were cleared and drawn by the Archaeological Institute of the University of Heidelberg, under the direction of Jorg Schaefer.

 

Address  Address:

Amnissos

Location (City, Village, Area)  Location:

Amnissos, Heraklion

Telephone number  Telephone:

(+30) 2810762761

Fax number  Fax:

---

E-mail address  E-mail:

efahra@culture.gr

Website Url Url:

www.culture.gr

Operating Period  Operating Period:

JAN-DEC

   

Operating Days & Hours  Operating Days & Hours:

Summertime season:
MON-SUN: 08:00-15:00
(by Appointment with the guard of "Nirou Megaron")

Wintertime season:
MON-SUN: 08:30-15:00
(by Appointment with the guard of "Nirou Megaron")

 

Admission Fee  Admission Fee:

• Free Entrance
 

Notes  Notes:

---
 

  

   

Disclaimer

* The above information, are subject to change without prior notification from the institution. In any case, visitcrete.com has no responsibilities about any occurred changes.

 Last update 24/04/2018