Details / Information  Overview:

Remains of a settlement and graves prove that the site was inhabited as early as the 3rd millennium B.C. In 2600-1700 B.C., the time of the heyday of the first (old) palace in Phaistos, only small buildings were erected in the area of the Royal Villa. The villa was built approximately in 1600 B.C. and destroyed sometime in the 15th century. An imposing "Megaron" ,  "Mycenaean" type was erected on its ruins (14th-11th centuries B.C.) and an extensive settlement with a portico ("agora" or market-place) developed to the north of the villa. In the Geometric period (8th century B.C.) the site was a cult place, while in the Hellenistic period (4th-1st century B.C.) a small sanctuary was founded, dedicated to Zeus Velchanos. The single-aisled church of St. George was built in the period of the Venetian occupation (14th century A.D.).

Agia Triada was first excavated in 1902, in the course of those researches at the neighbouring site of Phaistos. Systematic excavations were begun in 1903 and completed in 1914.

 

Address  Address:

Agia Triada

Location (City, Village, Area)  Location:

Tympaki,Heraklion

Telephone number  Telephone:

(+30) 2892091360

Fax number  Fax:

---

E-mail address  E-mail:

---

Website Url Url:

---

Operating Period  Operating Period:

APR-OCT

 

Operating Days & Hours  Operating Days & Hours:

MON-SUN: 09:00-16:00

Admission Fee  Admission Fee:

• General admission: €3
• Special ticket package: There is a special offer of a fare of 6 € to visit both Phaistos site and Agia Triada.
 

Notes  Notes:

---
 

 

  

   

Disclaimer

* The above information, are subject to change without prior notification from the institution. In any case, visitcrete.com has no responsibilities about any occurred changes.

 Last update 30/04/2017